Thursday, December 11, 2014

Hobby Night: Warhammer 40k Reaver Titan


Warhammer 40k Reaver Titan

     This was an older project, and by old I mean 90s. I had bought a Armorcast Reaver Titan on ebay and this summer I got around to painting it up. Sadly, I sold it. But I had these pictures left over to remember the sheer size and scope of the project.

Step 1: 
-Black Primer


Step 2:
-Add thin layers of Mephiston Red on the main panels.
-Basecoat the gold accents with Mournfang Brown
-Add Leadbelcher to the other metal sections (keep layers thin, it is easier to go back and add more)


Step 3:
Note: I wanted this to be an Adeptus Mechanicus Reaver Titan, and reminiscent of Rogue Trader (bright colors, hazard stripes, highlights)

-I used tape and segmented the upper carapace portion of the titan, making sure it was on smoothly and wouldn't let paint slip underneath the seal.
-I continued my base coats with Mephiston Red.


Step 4: 
-Use a lead pencil and gently stencil the lines where you want the hazard stripes.
-Cut strips of tape to section off each, this helps give those crisp lines on the carapace!
Note: I just make sure I paint over the pencil marks.
-I painted the hazard stripes using Averland Sunset, it's a beautiful yellow.


Step 5:
-I wanted to add stripes to the turbo laser just to break up the red. Following the previous steps.
- I also added a green glow effect to the turbo laser, using a base of: Dark Angel Green, dry brush (Warp Stone), and ending with Scorpion Green.


Progress shot from a different angle.


I went back and focused on the metal details throughout the model.
-I used Balthasar Gold, to emulate the golden trim.


Here it is, sorry for the terrible angle.


I loved the look of the Apocalypse Missile Launcher with the Titan power fist attached.


I used a dry brush of blues under the powerfist to make it look like it was charging up to full power.



Overall I was happy with the project, but it definitely doesn't have the detail of the forgeworld model. Nonetheless, it was a great model for its time.

No comments:

Post a Comment