Monday, December 22, 2014

Imperial Armour 13: Renegades and Heretics- Review Part XV (Fast Attack)

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Now let's get to some heretical business! I've been extremely busy with traveling for the holiday and family stuff.

I will be reviewing the dedicated transport and fast attack options of the Heretics and Renegades from Imperial Armour 13; however, unlike other reviews where I list out the relative specs of each entry, these are roughlyt guard equivalents and I will only emphasize how they differ in comparison to the Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum codex. I'll finish by saying what I think works, according to my experience thus far.


Dedicated Transport

Renegade Chimera -55pts
This is 10pts cheaper than the guard equivalent, and comes with the same options, except you only have BS2...which is a constant theme throughout the army unless you want to pay 10pts for Militia Training (+1BS). 

Fast Attack

Renegade Hellhound Squadron - Hellhound 115, Devil Dog 125, Bane Wolf 120
Exactly the same as the AM codex, except you can squadron them up to 4 vehicles.

Renegade Sentinel Squadron- 60pts
*Note: not entirely sure I am reading this correctly, but for 60pts you get 3 renegade sentinels with a mutilaser and search light (obviously bs2); here's the kicker, you can add up to 3 additional sentinels at 20pts each. I gave my AM codex to my buddy for Christmas since he is starting it up, so I don't have it with me, but that is incredibly cheap, comes with move through cover and can upgrade to heavy armor (front armor 12, at the loss of move through cover, and a steep cost 80pts for the entire squadron). Take an autocannon for 5pts each or a las for 10pts.

Renegade Salamander Squadron- 45pts
Here you can take between 1-3 in a squadron, it comes with a heavy flamer, heavy bolter, searchlight, and smoke launchers. Fast, open-topped, front armor 12, side 10, rear 10...but wait, BS3! I think it was supposed to only be BS2, because the milita training upgrade states "increase BS to 3"...pg 169. Way to go, Forgeworld!

Renegade Arvus Lighter Squadron -55pts
I've seen this model, but was surprised when I initially saw it in the list of potential fast attack choices. It can come in a squadron 1-3, bs 2, armor 10 all around, 3 hp, and can carry up to 12 models.

Special rules- improsived weapon mounts (snap fire always), deep strike, orbital workhorse (while selected as a squadron for FOC purposes, each arvus acts independently, and may deploy separately).

All the weapons options/wargear are sadly not in the book, but noted to be in Imperial ARmour: Aeronautica :/ lame

Renegade Valkyrie Squadron- 115pts
Same as the AM codex, but BS2.

Concluding Thoughts

First off, I would almost never take a heavy bolter on any vehicle now that they are stock BS2. Give me a heavy flamer on my vehicle any day for those auto hits. I'm always afraid of someone deepstriking close to me to blow up my vehicles with space marine meltaguns, or other crazy stuff. This is a deterent, plain and simple, and it's free so why the heck not take a heavy flamer instead of a heavy bolter on your vehicles.

Chimera are at a decent point cost now, honestly I could never understand why they were 65pts in the AM codex, and not reduced, except GW wanted to sell that Taurox kit. At 55pts, I can live with that for protecting my arch-demagogue and get him from point a to b. 

I think the hellhound squadron options are not worth it, except in fun games, they just don't do enough damage for the point cost in my opinion. I want a return on my investment of every point, and they seem to lack the capacity to show me the return I want. Great model, and the 10 point reduction is nice because BS2 means nothing for a flamer tank, give it a heavy flamer...Test it out, but I think you'll come to the same conclusion as I do.

Sentinel Squadrons look pretty cool, considering you can take 6 for the cost of single bane wolf. give them autocannons for 5pts each and that is 12 autocannon shots, 1/3 will hit and hopefully do something, but the fact that you can take so many is really nice. I love the sheer volume of bodies heretics and renegades can throw at an opponent and I think used correctly, it could be quite competitive. I will have to try out a full squad of 6 with autocannons. 

I seriously don't see the point of Salamander squadrons. I don't see what niche it fills within the army, besides someone at FW saying, " hey throw this in so people can buy them"...well if that was the case, why not give them some cool rule...Like I don't know scout, or stealth. Something, anything. I think this unit is dead on arrival sadly.

Arvus squadron versus Valkyrie squadron...there is little to no comparison, if you are going to take one, take the cheaper more versatile option. You can buy two arvus lighters for the cost of one valkyrie, and you can deploy them separately. They carry the same amount of models (12). Stick some cheap troops in them, and SHAZAM, cheap objective holders. This is a no brainer, and I'd really like to test them out.

Until next time!
-Argentius

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that you can pay 10 points to get the +1 BS.
    Certain units I'd definitely pay for, and then others I'd keep cheap.
    This makes list building a lil' more interesting than the regular Astra Militarum, and now you can bury your opponent in even cheaper bodies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree with your assessment on that; the issue being the possibility of an incredibly low leadership on your infantry. Uncertain Worth requires that you roll for leadership after deployment, so you don't know which units will most likely run and which could stick around after taking casualties.

      Delete