Saturday, November 22, 2014

Hobby Night: Chaos Space Marine- Aegis Defense Line


     As I'm writing up new lists for Imperial Armour 13 it is becoming apparent that I would have to utilize an aegis defense line with communications relay to ensure my reserves, flyers, etc. come on when I need them too. I had an aegis defense line lying around with a terrible paint job. So I thought I could chaosify it and give it a grim dark paint job to make it fit my iron warriors. 

     The way I'm running my iron warriors is undivided, so I thought that each section of the defense line could have a different chaos god! I had tons of extra icon bits laying around!


Step 1: Base Coat
Mournfang brown for the areas that were going to be tarnished gold and on skulls.
Leadbelcher on all the other areas of the wall.

Step 2: Drybrush
Balthasar Gold over all areas that you want the aegis to be tarnished gold.
Ushabati Bone on the skulls, several light coats.

Step 3: Washes
Nuln oil over the entire defense line, avoid the skulls.
Note: Make sure the wash doesn't pool on the bottom, otherwise you are left darker areas, or areas that dry out and recess.


Step 4: Highlights
Runefang steel along the edges of areas you want to pop. 
Screaming skull on the raised areas of the bones. 


Step 5: How detailed do you want it to be?
If you are happy with the results, you can call it finished. If not you can do even more highlights and shading.

I went over the gold in some areas with Gehenna Gold to make it brighter, especially on some of the chaos icons. 

As you can see below, I used Runefang Steel on the eye of chaos on the communications array to make it pop.

I may go back and gently highlight all the bolts with Leadbelcher. 



2 comments:

  1. Where did you get those awesome bone bitz? That is one awesome heretical defense line :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg,

    Thanks for the great question! The bone bits, specifically the chains with bones on them are the additional chaos bits you get from chaos vehicles. I just chopped them up so I could make more of them, as they usually come linked by a central chain.

    I hope that answers your question. Some of the other bits are from warhammer fantasy buildings and from warriors of chaos.

    Thanks for the compliment. After the holiday I hope to continue to post a lot more content.

    ReplyDelete